Historic Jackson County Courthouse and Library
|Architect:||McMillan, Pazdan, Smith Architecture|
|Construction Time:||2 years|
This project consisted of an 11,350 sq ft renovation (of the old three-story Jackson County Courthouse) and a new 24,000 sq ft addition (of the two-story New Jackson County Library) totalling to 35,350 sq ft. The new complex quadrupled the building’s current space, with the addition housing most library operations and the old courthouse offering meeting rooms and quarters for the county’s historical society, genealogical society and arts council. The existing courthouse, originally built in 1912, had to be restored and equipped for the library addition. The courthouse had a dome/cupola on top of the roof which had to be removed and reworked due to excessive rotten wood causing the roof to leak. The library exterior was painted brick to match the courthouse. Other exterior features of the courthouse such as brick jack arches and cornice trim are duplicated for the new building. A glass atrium connects the two buildings.
Sustainable principles include the facility heating and air conditioning system being a very efficient variable speed inverter drive technology heat pump system. It also features Energy Recovery Ventilation Units to preheat/precool ventilation air with air being exhausted from the building. It also features an energy management control system to better control energy use. Lighting is controlled with a microprocessor based central lighting control system as well to minimize lighting energy usage. We have also utilized very efficient lighting fixtures including LED fixtures in the display cases.
Some of the notable finishes in the library include stained glass & tubular skylights, terrazzo floors, heart pine floors and wood stairs, engineered wood floors, all of the doors and windows are were wrapped with wood trim, and there is wood paneling and wood bases.